Friday, December 7, 2018

GIS 4930 - Project 4 - Analyze 2- Food Deserts

For this weeks portion of project 4 we were asked to create a webmap in leaflet for food deserts in an area of our choosing. I chose Navarre, FL, my hometown as the study area for my food desert analysis.
I obtained my data using www.fgdl.com I searched florida census and downloaded

       2010 U.S. CENSUS BLOCKS IN FLORIDA
CENBLK2010_AUG11
                
The extent of the processing I did involved clipping the data to a shapefile of santa rosa county then selecting for all object ID’s within Navarre in order to create a study area shapefile.
For the grocery store shapefile I used ArcGIS and the coordinate inquiry box in order to zoom to the coordinates of all grocery stores in Navarre. I obtained coordinates using google maps. Once the coordinate inquiry located  a grocery store location I would put a point using the ArcGIS editor on a newly created navarregrocerystores.shp.

The data being displayed indicates that grocery stores in Navarre are restricted mainly to highway 98. This restriction creates food deserts the farther north you travel from highway 98. I used my local town and the data does not surprise me. I knew that most grocery stores were located either directly on highway 98 or within at least 1 mile.

http://students.uwf.edu/atg6/GIS/navarre_fooddesert.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring 2023 semester wrap up

 The spring 2023 semester at UWF has been an eventful one in which I finalized the requirements for my bachelors of science in natural scien...